Wednesday, June 11, 2008

FUN WITH BLOGS

I've been having a lot of fun finding new blogs to read. One I found yesterday is YARD SALE BLOODBATH, which shows a lot of weird and wonderful things found at yard sales. Since I also love reading mysteries, I was drawn to the name. Okay I don't read thrillers where there're serial killers and a lot of blood and guts, but I can imagine that fistfights might break out at a yard sale.

Meanwhile, where am I going to find the time to read all these new blogs as well as some of the old? You'll see under my favorite blogs that I read several that pertain to books. I love to read Mary Kay Andrews's blog. She often talks about her junking expeditions and her vendor's booth on Tybee Island (Maisy's Daisy--the same name as her character's shop in Savannah Blues.) I've read all but her newest book--will have to get my butt to the bookstore soon to get it.

China_cabinet

Meanwhile, here's my picture of the day. It's the china cabinet in my dining room. Because of the angle, it looks like it's about to fall over, doesn't it? The room is small and is stuffed with furniture (except for that wall), so I couldn't get the angle in right. I need to play with my camera some more.

The china on the second shelf belonged to my grandmother. The china on the next three shelves are called "Silver Maple" by Royal Albert. My mother had a tea set of it, and I always loved it. So one year with my "bonus" money from work, I bought various pieces from one of those "replacements" houses, since the company had long since stopped making it. I have to admit, I rarely use it simply because it has a silver band and isn't dishwasher safe. But I never tire of looking at it.

The stuff on the top shelf is mostly stuff I've picked up at yard sales and junk shops.

That pewter platter above it belonged to a friend of my father's. Or rather that friend's mother. It's really old now (friend has been dead at least 40 years), and it's a little banged up. That's probably why I like it so much.

No comments: