Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Saved: One keyboard

Imac keyboard I've had a lot of computers over the years, which also means I've had a lot of keyboards.  I think I've ranted before about the horrible flat keyboard that came with my iMac.  I cannot (and WILL NOT) get used to it.  Ever.  It was made for man.  A man who bites his nails.  I don't have long nails, but I they do go over the tops of my fingers on occasions, and when they do:  TYPO CITY!

That's why I'm glad I do the majority of my typing either on my PC or my laptop.  Oh, yeah--I don't use my laptop's keyboard, either--not if I can help it, at least.  It, too, was designed for a tech guy who bites his nails.  And that mouse--forget it!

The keyboard that came with my Emachine is WONDERFUL.  I love it so much, I bought a second one that I use with my laptop.  Even when I travel, I take that keyboard with me.  It's just so ... wonderful.

The problem, though, is that quite a few of the white letters have worn off the old black keyboard, and are beginning to wear off from the one I use with the laptop.  Two years ago, I bought some rub-on letters and applied them to the old keyboard.  They worked, sort of.  I painted them with clear nail polish, but eventually they wore off.  They weren't very pretty, either.  *Sigh*

Keyboard I was in the craft store the other day, looking for cute kitty stickers and instead found stickers of old typewriter keys.  Aha!  That will be just great for my keyboard.  So, I bought them, brought them home, and applied the stickers to the keys that had worn off, and again painted them with nail polish.  Hubby had a look and shook his head.  "That looks dumb.  You should just put all the letters on."

So I did.

What do you think?

What kinds of creative things have you done to keep something useful from ending up in the trash?

3 comments:

Janie said...

Clever idea! You got me wondering what I'd saved from the trash recently and I thought of the leftover invitations from my daughter's wedding. I didn't have the heart to throw them away, but they were just sitting in a box taking up space. Then I realized that their embossed border was just the right size to frame a 4X6 picture. So I used a straight knife to cut out the middle of the invitation, affixed thin magnetic tape that I found at Michael's to the back, and I had very cool frames for my refrigerator picture gallery.

Ivy Bend said...

What a wonderful idea! I love hearing these kinds of stories.

PinkInklings said...

I think that is sooo cool. Great idea. and kudos to the hubby that encouraged you too! :)