Friday, January 7, 2011

My Favorite Meal of the Day

I love lunch.  Not just going out to eat lunch, but lunch in general.  I think I spend more time each day planning my meals than actually enjoying them.

Sandwich_2Lunch is so full of possibilities.  Sandwiches and soup?  And which sandwiches; ham and cheese on rye with loads of lettuce?  Tuna with celery and onion with tons of lettuce on multi-grain bread?  Chicken salad with onion, celery and lots of lettuce on white?  BTL with lots of mayo and loads of lettuce on toast?  (Did I mention how much I like lettuce on a sandwich?)  And subs.  We have a great little sub shop down the road that gives you an small assorted sub with tons of meat, cheese, peppers, onions, and lettuce for $3.00.  Toss a (very small) bag of chips, and you've got yourself one mighty fine lunch--for two, even!

I love leftovers.  Give me leftover curried chicken any day.  (Leftover curried ANYTHING is on my top ten list.)  Leftover potato salad with any above-mentioned sandwich (and baby dill pickle) is also marvelous.
Out to lunch When I go out to lunch, I like to have something I wouldn't have at home.  Like...Indian food I can't (or am too lazy) to make myself.  (Goat anyone?)  I also love Greens and Beans, which I have made for myself, but it's labor intensive.  And fish fries.  Yeah--at the Globe Hotel in East Aurora.  (Who wants the smell of fried fish hanging around the kitchen for a couple of days....) I love a linen napking.  Salad forks.  I love being waited on, too.

Unless Mr. Ivy is feeling creative in the kitchen, we tend to eat a lot of the same stuff for supper.  That amounts to:  lamb shoulder steaks; chicken, oven baked barbeque pork (with my mother's wonderful home-made barbeque sauce).  I have a lot of cookbooks.  It's time to haul them out and try something new.

But supper can wait.  Today's lunch is curried beans and rice.  Ahhhh...that's nice.

What are you having?

No comments: